Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Disappointment

Disappointment is the feeling of dissatisfaction that follows the failure of expectations to manifest. Similar to regret, it differs in that the individual feeling regret focuses primarily on the personal choices that contributed to a poor outcome, while the individual feeling disappointment focuses on the outcome itself.[1] It is a source of psychological stress.[2] 


~ Expect nothing and accept everything and you will never be disappointed. ~

I was disappointed the other day...
What's the point of able express that I was disappointed? What did I feel when I found out my trip to Asia and more importantly, a visit with my wife was cancelled?


It's true, I was feeling very dissatisfied after my expectations of visiting my wife on a work trip failed to happen. Dissatisfied does not do my feelings justice. In this instance my dissatisfaction included the following flavours:
sad, mournful, deprivation, anger, love, hurt, sick, tired.
Yes, stuck in the middle of all those negative emotions is my silver lining... love.
Yes, I wanted to cry and show the world how miserable I was feeling, but in the midst of all that, I was also feeling much love and gratitude for my life and the wonderful chain of events that have brought me here. Here, where I am a person who felt so many powerful emotions that my body needed to shed some tears. The cause of all this pain? Love... or more specifically, being deprived of a love so wonderful that to me, it was on of the worst injustices I have ever experienced in my life. What does it matter that I have not experienced many injustices in my own personal life? It makes me feel even more grateful for the life I've lived so far... but what of those theories that argue that you can't truly appreciate one extreme without having experienced the other? Does that make my dissatisfaction any less than someone else's? Does it make it any less real? I don't know.


wow, I just got a wave of nausea and sickness wash over me. of course my first thought is why? what does this mean? was it something I ate? was it what I was thinking about? was I bringing something nasty up because of what I was thinking? does that mean I should stop thinking about it? i don't want to feel like that... are these my instincts telling me to stop or are my instincts telling me that I need to dig deeper to figure out what's going on inside of my body?


could I have also been feeling any relief?
not having to pack
not having to ruin the beautiful reunion i've dreamt
what? that's crazy - what poison is entering into my mind?
what happens when sometimes, my love changes to annoyance and judgement - am I tired?
what opens up these feelings that someone wants something from me that i can't provide?
am i selfish?


watching tv - is this dangerous? am i really that impressionable that a drama created for entertainment can alter my reality? is it really poison to the mind? I need to get rid of it... i don't want anything polluting my mind... but I get good things from it too - there's a lot of inspiration there... how do I take responsibility over how my mind reacts to the world around it? how do I ensure that I have the strength to handle life as I really wish to handle it? I've been keeping my world small... I haven't taken too many risks.
why do I feel sick to my stomache right now? am I dehydrated? I'll have some water... i feel better immediately. headache? my stomach feels better. I'm cold, but i'm usually cold. tired but i want to send Jodie my thoughts... thoughts on disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment