Friday, January 7, 2011

What does this different perspective look like?

I am stepping back more regularly, to be aware of deadlines and really getting to know how long each task will take. Or maybe I'm becoming disciplined by only allowing myself a set amount of time to do these tasks...

I am stopping my perfectionist nature from narrowing my focus and distracting me from the importance of just getting something done. I remember that I don't want to spend all of my time working! I feel okay stopping, even though something isn't perfect - I don't start fiddling with details until everything's done to a point where it can be handed off - it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it's communicating what it needs to.

I am instantly recognizing the consequences that "changes" and other "bold requests" will be on my ability to deliver so that I am able to communicate them in the moment. I verbalize these things without sounding negative. I remember that a request is only a request when there is a "by when" and the choice of accepting the request or not. I can either accept, decline, make a counter offer or tell them I'll get back to them once I check my schedule. In order to do this, I know my schedule and am able to picture everything I've got on my plate. [How can I have a really clear picture of what needs to be done by when and how long I think it will all take? A "Priority List" in my work notebook? Do I start my day re-writing it... every single day? I do it at least once a week, but do I need to be doing it more often?]

I am realistic about the amount of time meetings take away from my workable hours. I write down the time meetings start and ends in my notebook. This gives me a better picture of how I spend my time. This allows me to be proud of the amount I have been able to accomplish despite the actual hours I had available to actually "work".

I do housekeeping chores like clearing emails and organizing files only after my deadlines have been taken care of... I prioritize certain tasks that allow me to take care of myself like vacation requests, expenses, lunch, fresh air breaks, etc.

Because I'm taking advantage of the convenience of fitness classes at the SSC, I have a good store endorphins in my system throughout the week and more energy to excel in climbing, skiing, etc.




1 comment:

  1. I believe every word of this! Well put! Nicely articulated! Go for it all!!!!

    ReplyDelete